Does your Mac also not start up properly whenever you turn it on? Well, if it happens with you as well, please know that your Mac might be having some internal issues that need to be fixed! I know you must be wondering why, how, and when did it happen to your Mac? Don’t worry; this blog will help you in answering all of your queries. This blog will also help in fixing your Mac that won’t boot or start properly whenever you open it. Generally, when your Mac is not able to boot, you will see a flashing folder with a question mark icon on Mac’s window. This flashing window sometimes appears without any prior warning or while booting your Mac up. And knowing how to fix the flashing folder with a question mark is important to fixing the running system of your Mac. In this blog, we will be discussing how to fix this issue.
First of all, let us take a look at the reasons why your Mac does not boot.
Reasons behind “Why My Mac Won’t Boot?”
If your Mac is not booting up, it can have various reasons behind this use. Below are some of the common reasons behind “why your Mac won’t boot?”
- On-going hardware issues
- Power cut or loss during Mac was updating
- Disconnect Wi-fi while your Mac was updating which resulted in a corrupted Mac
- Mac has run into an error while starting
- Mac was not connected to power
Now, let us see how we can fix such issues in easy ways.
Ways to Fix Mac that Won’t Boot
In this section, I have covered some simple and effective ways to fix your Mac that won’t boot.
1. Check your system preferences
If you have just noticed the boot issue for a few seconds and if your Mac just instantly re-started after the error. You can directly fix this issue by changing the system preferences of your Mac. If it happened for a few seconds, please know that Mac most of the time fails to locate the startup disc and that’s why it takes time to boot the system. The good news is that you can fix this issue by just following the below-mentioned steps:
- Click the “System Preferences” and then select the starting disc.
- Now, you will have to select the disc from wherein you usually boot the Mac. Generally, we use “Macintosh HD”, hence, select that for moving further.
- Now, you will need to shut down the System preferences for changing the preferences.
- After doing so, restart your Mac and check if the issue is resolved or not.
2. Repair startup disc via macOS utilities
For improving the startup disc, we generally take the help of macOS utilities. For repairing the startup disc with the help of macOS utilities, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- For beginning the repair process, you will have to hold the power button wherein you are stuck while starting your Mac.
- Now, your Mac will try to resume, herein you can press and hold “Command+R.” these hotkeys will put your Mac on recovery mode.
- During the process, a pop-up box is going to appear, herein, initiate the process by selecting “Disk Utility.”
- From the following selection, you will be initiating the repair process, from there you will have to launch the “First Aid” option for checking if the software was able to detect and repair the issue on your Mac.
- If the Disk Utility tool was not able to resolve the problem, you can go to the other options. Additionally, you can also try reinstalling Mac OS; take the help of the Time Machine tool for creating a backup, or reformatting your starting drive.
Also Read: Challenges faced in Cloud Security in 2022
3. Reset NVRAM
By resetting NVRAM, we can fix software-related issues. This way will be helping us in fixing memory-related issues. You can follow the below-mentioned steps for resetting NVRAM in your Mac:
- Begin the process by completely shutting down your Mac.
- Now, press the power key and instantly hold the “Cmd+Option+P+R” keys together.
- Keep holding the button until your Mac restarts again. Now, you will see that the Apple icon keeps disappearing, again and again, this is happening due to security chip models.
- Now, release the buttons.
- When your Mac starts booting again, you will be noticing a few changes in preferences and settings but don’t worry this is going to fix all the issues.
Also Read: Metaverse Game Development
4. Restart the system
We all are aware that Mac is loaded with strong functions but it can also undergo some errors often. Sometimes, the issues are so big that it makes your files or data damaged or corrupted. Therefore, it is always important to create a regular backup of your important data. People who generally don’t create a back often lose data while reinstalling the system. We always recommend using data recovery software so that backup can always be stored and there are no chances for corruption, deletion, virus assault, failure, or anything else. After creating the backup, try to restart your system, this will surely fix all ongoing issues in your Mac.
I hope this blog helps you with how to fix a Mac that won’t boot.
Thanks for reading!