We all know that there are a lot of millionaires out there. But who makes the list of richest people in the world? In this blog post, we’ve complied a list of the top ten richest people in the world as of 2019. From billionaires to tech moguls and more, take a look and see who made the cut. This is by no means an exhaustive list and there are bound to be some changes over time. But it’s a good starting point for understanding who’s really pulling the strings when it comes to our economy.
Bill Gates is the richest people in the world with a net worth of $86.2 billion as of March 2016, according to Forbes. Gates was behind Mark Zuckerberg and Warren Buffet when it came to total wealth in 2016. Gates is also the co-founder of Microsoft, which he sold to Bill Gates Sr. for $250 million in 1995. He has since invested in other technology companies such as Amazon, Tesla and Berkshire Hathaway
Gates has been involved with many charitable organizations including The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which focuses on global health and education, and The Cascade Trust, which focuses on reducing infectious diseases around the world. In 2013 he donated $25 million to create the William H. Gates Foundation School for Computer Science and Engineering at Seattle University.
Amancio Ortega is the founder and CEO of Spanish fashion chain Zara. He has a net worth of $54.5 billion as of March 2017 according to Forbes.
Ortega, who started working at his family’s clothing store in 1975, built Zara into one of the world’s largest fashion chains with more than 2,000 stores worldwide. The company reported sales of 461 million euros ($589 million) in 2016.
He has also been involved in other ventures, such as founding Inditex Group, which owns the Topshop and Burton brands among others. Ortega is also the chairman of retail group Mango S.A., which owns Argos retail chain and hypermarket chain El Corte Inglés..
1. Warren Buffet – Estimated net worth: $77.7 billion
2. Bill Gates – Estimated net worth: $75.5 billion
3. Amancio Ortega – Estimated net worth: $67 billion
4. Jeff Bezos – Estimated net worth: $60.2 billion
5. Mark Zuckerberg – Estimated net worth: $50 billion
Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and CEO of Facebook, is now the world’s richest man with a net worth of $71.6 billion as of February 2016. He overtook Bill Gates for the title of richest person in the world back in April 2015. Zuckerberg has been successful in turning Facebook into one of the world’s most popular and valuable networks. In addition to his business success, Zuckerberg is also involved in philanthropy through his foundation.
Carlos Slim Helu
1. Carlos Slim Helu – Net Worth: $74.5 billion
2. Bill Gates – Net Worth: $75.0 billion
3. Warren Buffett – Net Worth: $60.8 billion
4. Michael Bloomberg – Net Worth: $40.0 billion
5. Amancio Ortega – Net Worth: $37.9 billion
Jeffrey Preston Bezos is the founder, CEO and chairman of Amazon.com, one of the world’s largest online retailers. He started the company in 1994 with a $250,000 investment. The company went public in 1997 and now has a market value of over $550 billion.
Bezos also owns The Washington Post, which he bought in 2013 for $250 million. He is also the owner of Blue Origin, an aerospace company that has developed reusable rockets.
Bezos is married to MacKenzie Bezos and they have two children.
Donald Trump, the President-elect of the United States, has an estimated net worth of $3.5 billion as of November 2016 according to Forbes. Trump is the 45th richest person in the world and his fortune comes from real estate, golf course properties, licensing deals and other business ventures.
Here are the other wealthy Americans who made it to the top of Forbes’ list:
1. Bill Gates | Net Worth: $86.8 billion
2. Warren Buffett | Net Worth: $82.9 billion
3. Carlos Slim Helu | Net Worth: $72.0 billion
4. Jeff Bezos | Net Worth: $69.0 billion
5. Larry Ellison | Net Worth: $58.7 billion
1. Sergey Brin – Google’s co-founder and current CEO is worth an estimated $35 billion.
2. Amancio Ortega – The founder of Spanish clothing company Zara is worth an estimated $53.1 billion.
3. Warren Buffett – The richest person in the world has a net worth of $87 billion.
4. Bill Gates – The co-founder of Microsoft is worth an estimated $90 billion.
5. Jeff Bezos – Amazon’s founder and CEO is worth an estimated $131 billion.
Larry Ellison, the co-founder and CEO of Oracle Corporation, is the richest person in the world with a net worth of $54.3 billion as of 2018. Ellison’s fortune makes him the ninth wealthiest person in the world and the third wealthiest American behind Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos. Ellison has also been recognized as one of the most innovative business leaders in the world, having been awarded over 60 honorary degrees from universities around the world.
The world is a changing place and with it, the fortunes of some people are soaring while those of others have taken a beating. In this list, we take a look at some of the richest people in the world as of 2018. Some of these individuals have made their wealth through shrewd business practices, others through owning valuable properties or possessing exceptional natural resources. Regardless of how they got there, these are some of the wealthiest people on the planet today.