We examined the Poppy Playtime game’s online security last year. Safety concerns have once more surfaced as a result of claims of online challenges and gruesome content involving Huggy Wuggy, one of the game’s most well-known characters.
Who is Huggy Wuggy?
The main character of the PC horror game Poppy Playtime is an unnamed person who is investigating a mystery at an abandoned toy factory. As the player, you investigate the factory and collect VHS recordings to determine what transpired. You must solve puzzles in order to survive the “vengeful toys” left behind.
“Huggy Wuggy” is one of the most well-known and graphically disturbing characters in the game. A enormous, terrible blue creature actively pursues you while you work to complete the game. It has bulging eyes, wide red lips, and long limbs. He catches you off guard by emerging from the shadows. Huggy Wuggy will eat you if he finds you, and he has a wide, terrifying grin on his face.
Huggy Wuggy Warnings
Huggy Wuggy-related content has recently risen, and there have even been rumours of playground-style challenges centred on the character, despite the fact that Poppy Playtime was introduced last year.
Parents have recently been warned about the proliferation of explicit fan-made films on platforms like YouTube and TikTok by the Dorset Police Cyber Protection Officer.
In an effort to be uncomfortable and “horror,” some animated films integrate music with the animation. Others exhibit jump-scare animations. Several well-known websites, including YouTube and TikTok, host the videos. The hashtag “huggy wuggy” has garnered over 2.9 billion views on TikTok.
These movies frequently “slip through the net” of platform safety measures like content screening and age restrictions because of the character’s name.
In addition, according to police reports, some schools have observed students hugging and saying “nasty things” into one other’s ears while playing out scenes in the playground. Our researchers have not found any fresh information about these reports as of yet.
New Game Release Expected
One explanation for the unexpected increase in content and popularity may be that a second version of the game is reportedly about to be released. There have been several fan-made YouTube videos analysing the potential changes, a new trailer, “teaser” movies, and more.
According to information from the creators, additional characters have been created, such as Mommy Long Legs and Kissy Missy. These new characters, like Huggy Wuggy, have names that are apparently “harmless,” but they might be upsetting and unpleasant to young viewers despite being child-friendly.
Our Top Tips for helping the child or young person in your care
- If your youngster hasn’t addressed Huggy Wuggy or Poppy Playtime, don’t bring them up. You might pique their curiosity, leading them to look up the subject on resources they might have access to.
- Take a deep breath in order to maintain your composure when a child in your care mentions Huggy Wuggy. It’s possible that they overheard a conversation at school or online, but this does not necessarily mean that they have viewed any content or understand Huggy Wuggy completely.
- Ask them what they prefer to read on the internet and whether anything they have ever seen has offended or scared them or their friends.
- If they have seen anything alarming, reassure them that they are secure. It’s imperative that children realise they can talk to you without fear of judgement. If it’s required, ask them to show you the video or game, and if you have any complaints, go via the proper channels.
- Before posting anything you find about Huggy Wuggy or Poppy Playtime on social media or in the media, give it some thought. It could be better to disseminate a trustworthy article with sound information in a discreet manner, like through private messaging.
- Use our Trusted Adult Resources to teach children the importance of seeking assistance when they are anxious or depressed.
- If your child is having nightmares or is anxious as a result of anything they witnessed, it’s important to talk to them about expressing their feelings. Use our emotions notepad to help your child articulate complex feelings.
- Read our analysis of the game’s online security features to learn more about Poppy Playtime and to get our Safety Briefing.
- Visit our post on online challenges for more information on how to respond to challenges.
Top Tip for Teachers and Safeguarding Professionals
If a parent or caregiver shows concern about Huggy Wuggy or Poppy Playtime, share this article and our resources with them to help them understand and obtain more advice.