Imagine guests are coming to your Home. You are trying to clean every inch of your house so that the guests will get a good perception about you and your house. Suddenly you enter the bathroom and feel a bad smell inside. You get the idea that there is a clogged drain in your bathroom that is causing the smell.
This can also happen to your kitchen sink. If the water does not drain properly from the sink and you feel a smell coming out of the sink then it can be due to the clogged drain of your sink and you’d be in need of drain cleaning ASAP.
Whether it is the sink, shower or toilet, clogged drains are always a source of trouble for the house mates. Everyone wants to get rid of them without getting into much trouble.
Getting Rid of Clogged Drains through Home Remedies
There are many ways to get rid of clogged drains. It is not necessary that you always call the plumber for any type of drainage issues. There are many natural ways through which we can get rid of clogged drains. These natural ways are also known as home remedies. Some of these home remedies are given below.
Also, you can prefer CCTV Drain Surveys London that help to manage your home drainage system.
1. Boiling Water
You might think how simple boiled water could open the clogs. However it is true and it is this simple. Boiling water is used to open clogged drains for a long time. Many women and house maids use this remedy not only to open the clogged drain but also for the cleaning of drains as well. For this method you have to perform the following steps.
- Take a pot.
- Fill 2 litres of water in it.
- Put the pot on the stove.
- Start boiling the water on medium flame.
- Wait till the water reaches its boiling point. Turn off the flame and wait for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes take the pan and start pouring the boiling water down the clogged drain.
- Water should be poured down slowly.
With the help of this method, all the grease and soap residue etc will melt away. This method has proven to be very effective in unclogging drains and cleaning grease and oil etc. however you should not use this method if you have PVC or PEX pipes. The boiling water can melt the pipes or cause damage to the pipes.
2. Salt and Boiling Water
Another helpful and effective method to unclog drains using natural ingredients is the boiling water and salt method. To perform this method, you have to follow the below steps.
- Take a pot.
- Pour 2 litres of water in it.
- Put the pot on the stove and let it boil.
- You should boil the water on medium flame till it reaches the boiling point.
- Turn off the flame and let the water cool for 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, take 1 cup of salt.
- Pour salt into the clogged drain.
- Right after the salt, pour down boiling water into the clogged drain.
- Let the salt and water mixture rest inside the drain for some time.
- After 15 minutes, pour more boiling water.
- If the clog still remains, pour salt in the drain and leave it overnight.
- Pour water the next day.
This method is effective as salt has natural properties to cut down grease and oil. This method is used for both unclogging and cleaning of drains. However, do not use this method if you have PVC or PEX pipes.
3. Baking Soda and Boiling Water
Baking soda is a common element found in almost every kitchen. Many people use it as a cleaning agent because it is the best solution for getting rid of bad smells in the kitchen or bathroom etc. It is very effective to get rid of tough clogs. Perform the following steps for this method.
- Take a pan or pot.
- Pour water in it and put it on the stove.
- Turn on the flame and let the water boil till it reaches its boiling point.
- Turn off the flame.
- Take 1 cup of baking soda.
- Pour the baking soda down the clogged drain and let it sit there for 30 minutes.
- Baking soda will help to clear the oil and grease etc inside the drain.
- After 30 minutes, start pouring down boiling water into the drain.
- The water will flush away all the grease and oil etc inside the drain that could be the cause of clogging.
4. Baking Soda and Vinegar
You can unclog drain using baking soda with vinegar; it creates a strong reaction that helps in unclogging of tough clogs and removal of grease etc. Follow the given steps to perform this method.
- Pour down ½ cup of baking soda into the clogged drain.
- After that pour down 1 cup of vinegar into the drain.
- You will hear a fizzing sound from the drain. This sound means that baking soda and vinegar have started reacting to remove the grease and oil etc.
- Sometimes the fizz also comes out of the drain in the form of bubbles. Cover the sink drain top with some stopper to keep the fizz inside the drain.
- Let the baking soda and vinegar mixture sit inside the drain for a few hours or preferably overnight.
- The next morning, pour down boiling water into the drain to wash away all the grease and oil residue causing the clog. The drain will become clean, unclogged and fresh as baking soda will take away all the smell along with other build up inside the drain.
Clogged drains are very irritating and they can also lead to bigger problems if they are not given immediate attention. The above remedies can help you to clear the clogged drains without the need of any equipment. With the help of these methods, you can also save unnecessary expense of calling a plumber.