Butter Pie Recipe
A butter pie is an American classic dessert made from a rich custard filling topped with a sweet pastry crust. It’s easy to make and delicious!
Here is a recipe that Julia Moskin brought to The Times in 2010, from Esa Yonn-Brown at the Butter Love Bakeshop in San Francisco, with a crust so lumpy with butter that it would never pass inspection in a professional kitchen. With its caramelized filling of butter and brown sugar, her butter pie belongs to the same gooey tradition as sugar pie, chess pie, shoofly pie and, in recent years, the Milk Bar Pie served by
Butter pies are a traditional American dessert that originated in New England. They’re often served at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other holiday celebrations.
Butter pies are one of those desserts that people either love or hate. If you fall into the former camp, then you know exactly what we mean when we say that this dessert is a little bit sweet, a little bit salty, and a lot delicious. The combination of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon makes this pie irresistible. And if you’re looking for something new to add to your repertoire, then this is definitely the recipe for you.
Butter pie is a classic American dessert that has been around since the early 1800s. It’s a simple, easy-to-make treat that requires very few ingredients. To make this pie, you’ll first prepare the filling. Next, you’ll pour the batter into a pre-baked pie shell. Finally, you’ll bake the pie at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes. Once baked, let the pie cool completely before slicing and serving.
Tips & Tricks:
If you want to make sure your butter pie is extra flaky, try using a pastry blender instead of a fork to mix the dough. You’ll get a nice crumbly texture without having to work too hard.
Ingredients required for Butter Pie Recipe:
For the Crust:
- 1¼cups all-purpose flour½teaspoon kosher salt1½teaspoons sugar8tablespoons (one stick) of
- cold unsalted butter, cut into dice¼cup ice water
- Dried beans or rice, for baking
For the Filling:
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2cups light brown sugar
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2large eggs
- ½cup cranberries (optional)
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
How to prepare Butter Pie Recipe:
Make the crust:
- Take a bowl and mix the flour, salt and sugar.
- Then add the butter and mix with dry ingredients till well coated.
- Using your finger press the butter cube into thin leaves and toss in the flour.
- When butter is coated well add one tablespoon of water at a time.
- Gently toss it till it hold together when we squeezed it.
- Wrap it in plastic paper and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface roll a chill dough circle in diameter and ¼ inch thick.
- Move this into a deep dish 9-inch pie pan.
- Turn edges under to make a thick rim; flute the rim, pinching it into a zigzag pattern.
- Add parchment paper to cover the bottom with pie weights, dried beans or raw rice.
- Bake it for 15 to 20 minutes or till just golden on the edges.
- Make the filling:
- Take a mixer and add cream butter and brown sugar together at medium speed until the sugar looks like wet sand.
- Then add salt and vanilla extract and beat it till it is creamy and light.
- If using mix the cranberries.
- Scrape filling into parbaked crust.
- Then you have to place the pie on a sheet pan and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let it cool to sit for one hour.
- Serve it with cold whipped cream or vanilla cream.How Much Food Do We Need for Event Catering?
Nutritional Information for Butter Pie Recipe:
Monounsaturated Fat: 2.0 g
Cholesterol: 20.3 mg
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4 g